Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Update

Things have been crazy at our house! When are they not, but really, it has been wild! Though I have many ideas and thoughts for posts, I'm just simply going to let this one be an update post.

We went to Cooperstown, NY for 9 days for Drew to play in a week long tournament. A longer post with pictures coming soon. Good time, but very glad to be back.

Drew started 7th grade yesterday. Emma starts tomorrow and it will be her first time mainstreamed, so please pray! My kids switched from track 4 to track 3 based on a teacher at Durant who has a wonderful reputation and 12 years experience with children with special needs. We made a family decision to switch tracks so that Emma can have the best opportunity possible at mainstreaming with a teacher who will hopefully understand her. I have to admit, I was so nervous of what Drew's response would be when we presented the idea to him (informing him he would only have a one week summer break to start with). He pleasantly surprised me by stopping me from listing the reasons and said "Mom, you don't need to tell me all the reasons. If it is what's best for Emma, I'll do it." I was immediately trying to hold back my tears of joy for Drew showing me the sweet, sensitive, compassionate child he *can* be..when he chooses to show that side. :) I've always knows he was a big part of the reason God placed Emma into our family. So track 3 begins...and we hope it comes with wonderful opportunities for both Drew and Emma.

We recently found out that Emma may have Celiac's disease. For those who may not know, here's a brief explanation:
When people with CD eat foods that contain gluten, it creates an immune-mediated toxic reaction that causes damage to the small intestine and does not allow food to be properly absorbed. Even small amounts of gluten in foods can affect those with CD and cause health problems. Damage can occur to the small bowel even when there are no symptoms present.
The only cure at this time is to eat gluten free foods. For those who knows us, this appears to be an impossibility for Emma due to her lifelong pickiness. She tested positive for the lab but requires further testing. Sometime at the end of this month, she will have an endoscopy with small intestinal biopsies to confirm the diagnosis. Sounds crummy...because it is, but Emma is a trooper and she always perseveres. This time will be no different.

I really hope to catch up on some more blogging and pictures soon! Until then, happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment