Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bravery

Emma had her routine endocrinology appointment yesterday. She is such an amazing patient whether it's the dentist, pediatrician, cardiologist, endocrinologist, ophthalmologist, gastrointerologist, ear, nose and throat doctor etc. Yes, you see, she visits lots of doctors each year. In fact, yesterday while we were waiting for the endocrinologist to come in the exam room, Emma looked at me with a huge grin on her face and said "Mommy, I can't wait for the doctor. I'm so excited." She sure does make life easy when it comes to all the doctor visits, but I certainly give God the glory because only He knows how much I can handle. :) Of course, Emma does morph into a different person when we get home and have to chase her around and hold her down to get medicine in her but that's a different story for another time! I wanted to share some pictures I took yesterday when she had her blood drawn.


Me: "Um are all those vials for her???"
Lab Tech: "Yes ma'm. Dr. Friedman is checking a lot of labs."


Emma: (in her facial expression, not words) "Lady, what are you about to do to me?!?"
Lab Tech: "Sweetie, I am not here to hurt you. You will feel a little prick and that's all. I promise it will be fast and then I have some silly bands for you."
*Side note- The lab tech's eyes look a little scary in this pic!


Me: "Emma, look at mommy not your arm."


Emma: (expressions) "This isn't so bad!"


Emma: (expressions) "I think I'll even show off a bit!"


There they are, 7 vials plus the last one in her arm still.


Emma: "All done. Silly bands now please."

What a trooper this girl is! Now for the prayer request. These labs will tell us her vitamin levels (vitamin D was slightly low last time), thyroid levels (she already has hypothyroidism and is on synthroid but her numbers haven't been regulated in 2 years yet), check for potiential celiac disease (her numbers were high for this 6 months ago, but we decided to repeat them in 6 months before undergoing an intestinal biopsy- AKA be in denial :), routine check for Leukemia (for unknown reasons, children with Down syndrome have a 50% chance of getting Luekiemia, sed rate (to check for arthriitis because Emma complains a lot with her legs hurting) and a metabolic panel. Obviously these are all large issues so we are praying for great results!

No comments:

Post a Comment