Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The "R" Word


If you know me then you know how I feel about this word. I am very passionate about ending it. I am offended and hurt when people use it, even if it is used out of context. I have heard this word repeated over and over, by co-workers, strangers in the store, acquaintances and sadly enough, even by people somewhat close to me.

It.is.hurtful.

Obviously having a daughter with Down syndrome has made me very sensitive and aware of this word, but it started long before the blessing of Emma. Please join me in this national campaign to end this word. It needs to stop NOW.


When you use this word, you are speaking about my daughter and the many, many others who don't have a voice for themselves.



Let's make a difference to break the cycle. Please join me now. Will you take the pledge? Visit http://www.r-word.org/ to make the pledge (this is a verbal pledge not monetary). I would love to see my family and friends made this pledge in Emma's honor. Feel free to "share" this post on facebook or email using the links below.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the posting, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what Eleanor??...you are amazing! What a beautiful thing you are trying to promote. How often we use that word without even thinking about it's meaning or how someone might take it. You are a true insperation and I pledge today to remove this from my family's vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Eleanor. You are a beautiful godly family and I am glad you are apart of Allyson's life. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! We do not use this word, but I love that this is a "movement" and a pledge families can take!! You are a beautiful voice for many, my friend!

    ReplyDelete