Friday, January 22, 2010

An Idea, a Bundle of Nerves and A Leap of Faith

A quick school update regarding Emma... The other day I had an idea. Ideas can go either way...some good, some not so good, but here it is. What if we utilize this small window of opportunity the second half of the school year to mainstream Emma and see how she can handle it to give us some guidance for next year?? I am so focused on her placement for 1st grade, but this idea hit me regarding this year. So, I immediately got one the phone and emailed to set up a meeting.

Jon and I met with Emma's teacher and the prinicpal yesterday to present my "idea". I was a bundle of nerves (see title of this post :) as I felt I needed to go in and "defend" my daughter. I have had tons and tons of meetings regarding Emma, but this one felt so important for some reason. I needed them to see Emma for Emma and not a label. I needed support. I was pleasantly surprised! Both the teacher and principal were on board with our ideas! Currently, Emma is mainstreamed for small times during the week but nothing very consistent. We are going to increase that to daily mainstreaming for a total of about 2 1/2 hours each day including morning meeting, lunch, recess and specials. They are going to assign her a "buddy" to be with her during these times (Jon's wonderful idea!!!).

Now the leap of faith....I hope she can handle this. We feel confident she can with the right help! Emma can be a bright shining star..."when she chooses to" (the saying that perfectly defines Emma, which I want to paint on her bedroom wall :). I will be in prayer for her daily. This is a big world in her little eyes, but I am not doing her justice if I don't push her to her fullest potiential. I am hoping this will provide some clear direction for our decisions for next year (which will have to be made in a couple of months).

Go Emma! Show them how amazing and wonderful you are!!! "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited about all of this! I cannot wait to hear about how she does. I miss her little face every day and I am confident she will do great! Keep me posted :) Love you guys!
    -Brittni

    ReplyDelete