Friday, January 29, 2010

Snow, Snow, Snow!

Could it be? Is this really it? Our big snowstorm we have been waiting for? We'll see! My kids are so excited. Emma remembers playing in the snow last year and told me (in her own words) that she is going to make a snowball and throw it in Drew's face. :) Drew is hoping for a foot of snow... I'll be happy with a few inches.

What will you do while you are snowed in? I have some ideas and wonder in a few days when I look back, what I will have accomplished from this list. Now there will be some accountability since I am exposing my list!! I rate this list from selfish things :) to getting my Martha Stewart on. Here goes:

-play in the snow with the kids
-drink hot chocolate
-watch movies (went to Blockbuster last night!)
-laundry
-start a book (if I make it to the library today)
-delete old pics of my memory card and take new ones of the kids in the snow
-add some pics I recently developed to photo albums
-cook some yummy meals (baked spaghetti,pot roast, big breaskfast, apple pie etc)
-upload my tax software and complete our taxes
-make snow cream
-have my kids write letters to a soldier and tell them about the snow
-make some baked goodies and walk them to the firestation at the entrance of our neighborhood

We'll see how much of this list I tackle which depends on how long we are home bound for! I found some recipes for snow cream. Here are some variations if you would like to try it:

Snow Cream Recipes

Snow Cream - ice cream made from snow. What a great idea! Now, some people think this is unsanitary (like Eleanor Waterman!!!!) but if you're adventuresome, give it a try. It's a winter treat that doesn't happen often and tastes better than ice cream.

Snow Cream Recipe #1
1-3 Cups of Snow (make sure it's clean!)1/2 Cup Whipping Cream or other cream of choice1 T. Sugar2-3 drops Vanilla flavoringIn a separate bowl, mix cream, sugar and vanilla. Slowly add snow to desired consistency. Eat and enjoy!
All ingredients can be adjusted to suit your particular preferences. You might want to try some other flavorings: cinnamon, butterscotch, almond, or eggnog mix.

Snow Cream Recipe #2
Sweetened Condensed MilkPure Vanilla ExtractCut Mile with Real Milk or WaterSugarIn a separate bowl, mix condensed milk, sugar and vanilla

Sandy's Old-time Snow Cream Recipe
Basic Recipe
1 cup milk1/2 cup sugarscant 1/2 teaspoon vanillalarge bowl of snow (about 3 quarts)
Blend milk, sugar and vanilla. Stir in enough snow to make snow cream to an ice cream consistency.

Variations - There are many variations for snow cream. For example, substitute canned cream for milk for a heavier flavor. Add Nestles Quik for a chocolate snow cream, or use instant cocoa mix. Another variation is to add plump raisins and cinnamon, or add a beaten egg for a nog taste. Puree an overripe banana and add to the mixture. Get creative - you know your family's tastes.
Note: ALWAYS - ALWAYS make sure the snow is clean. It takes at least one to two hours for snow to clean the pollutants from the air, then use only snow that has fallen after that first cleansing snow. It also goes without saying (but I will anyway), to make sure you do not collect the snow where animals and birds eat (or do other things). Cleanliness first. Stress that with the kids, because this is a treat even the younger ones can make for the whole family.

Enjoy the snow and this time with your family. I like to think this is God's way of telling us all to slow down from our busy lives and take a break!

1 comment:

  1. Well, the snow came so now I'm eager to hear what you accomplished from your list and of course I want to see pictures of the kids in the snow!!!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete