Thursday, May 6, 2010

Emma's Endocrinology Visit

Yesterday we had a routine visit to the endocrinologist for Emma's thyroid check. We go about every 4 months. Emma waltzed in excited as always to visit the doctor. She is always so cheerful, and all the nurses love her because she is so compliant. This is despite the fact that she has had 5 surgeries (nothing too major, other than her eyes thank goodness) and multiple doctor's visits in her short little life...more than I have had total in my 31 years. She stood there so proud and confident through the height and weight measurements, temperature, the blood pressure (which ended up being taken 6 times throughout the visit because it was slightly elevated- turned out normal, but left marks on her little arms), the doctor checking her head to toe and the lab drawing six tubes of blood. My amazing Emma.


Patiently waiting for the doctor after getting on the exam table all by herself!

But, yesterday was different. Yesterday provided a much needed perspective for myself, that came from my sweet daughter. I draw so much inner strength from her on a daily basis. It's a sweet but almost painful kind of strength that just takes my breath away. It's the strength that melts away everything negative. It's the perspective that knows no evils of the world and appreciates everyone and everything within it. It's the innocence. It's the true meaning of LIFE and LOVE.


Look mom, I'm ready!

But the most amazing part came when it was time to draw her blood. We started this distraction (of waiting and waiting at appointments) by taking pictures and sending them to daddy, Nana, aunts, friends..everyone! Emma did start to get a little antsy when the lab tech put her gloves on, so I whipped out my phone and this was the outcome:


She is actually smiling. SMILING. Amazing.
So thank you Emma for yet another reminder that you were sent here to show us and teach us daily. I am so proud of you in all that you do!!! You literally take my breath away...

1 comment:

  1. Good job Emma! Josi hates getting her blood drawn so I just showed her this picture and she is quite fascinated that Emma could sit there with a smile. Hopefully this will help her this year when we go for her blood draw.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete