Friday, June 4, 2010

What Would You Do?

1. -Would you switch your kids from track 4 to track 3, only allowing them a one week summer break and taking them off the track two of their cousins are on? You would be doing this because a really great teacher with a big background in special education would become your daughter’s teacher next year, for her first year at mainstreaming. However, you would be dealing with your 12 year old son only getting a one week break before starting a new school year. That one week break will be spent in Cooperstown.

2. -Would you take your daughter and go to the beach with your parents this weekend and miss out on your son’s baseball tournament? You would be doing this because it is going to be 93° here and you don’t have enough babysitters to help watch your daughter so you could go to the games anyway and suffer in the heat alone, without having to take her. You feel very torn though…

3. -Would you ever get tired and frustrated that your daughter waited on a waiting list for CAP services for almost 7 years and now that you have it, there isn’t enough “good staff” to fill your respite needs? You would have been waiting for your ship to sail in with some much needed help for quite a long time. You would have now been teased by this since you are ready to pull your hair out finding someone good to help care for your child with special needs because you have such a high standard for her care and the staff is so low quality.

4. –Would you start telling people exactly how you feel so they could know how their actions and what they say affect you? This would be a fairly big change for yourself because you care so much about how other’s feel, that sometimes you just let people walk all over you instead, simply because it’s easier.

5.. -Would you feel like you need to cut something out of the schedule for your family between two baseball teams with practice 3-4 nights a week, piano lessons once a week, speech therapy two times a week, developmental therapy two days a week, basketball one night a week, church softball once a week, tutoring for your daughter two days a week, carpooling for a friend one day a week, teaching coupon classes, blogging, work, school, church etc? Exactly what would you cut out? I can’t seem to justify cutting any of them. What if God would just add 4 more hours into our days? :)

6. -Would you make the time to schedule yourself for a dental cleaning, a dermatology appointment, an eye doctor appointment and a physical because you needed all of those things completed….but you don’t have the time to take off work to get it done. And see above, when else would you do it?

7. -Would you forget #’s 1-6 to focus on the more important things like quality family time, feeding your spiritual life, re-committing to raising your kids more diligently in the Lord, and being more active in church, once you commit to the one you want to be at? Let’s be honest, this is where it all starts. This is your foundation for all of the above.

The Christian in me wants to strongly focus on #7 but the human in me also needs to focus on #’s 1-6. It’s about perspective and finding the right balance. I know all moms must feel this way from time to time right??? Tell me I am not alone.


What would you do?

2 comments:

  1. oh my, there's no good answer for any of that. #7 seems like the best response, but I know that's not always what I opt for. As of now, I only have 1 little one to focus on and juggle this appointment or that. Sit down in some prayer to see what God has to say. BUT if I had to respond.
    1. I'd opt for the Track 4 and keep the awesome teacher. They are few & far between
    2. I'd vote for the beach, but since I don't have 2 kiddos that's not a fair vote.
    3. If you take the low quality, does that keep you in the system for the good to come around?
    4. & 5. hmm..
    6. take care of yourself too mama, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I were there more often to help you bounce ideas around! For 1, I would say go with Track 4. Emma needs a teacher who is going to meet her needs in order for her to be as successful as possible. Drew is an smart, amazing kid and I think that he will thrive no matter what. For 2, I wish I could be more helpful this weekend!! For 3, Again, wish, wish, wish. I WISH I were closer so I could take sweet lil Emma for as many hours as my day would allow. Hopefully you will forgive me for having to go off to Greenville, but I promise Emma will be my first client when I get my OT license! For 4, I have this problem all the time! Stand up for yourself and do it with a smile. 5, phew, if only there were more time in the day. And 6, make the time because you are just as important as everyone else you take care of! If you are not healthy and well taken care of, how would you ever make it through #5?! And 7...you can feed your spiritual needs in more ways than just attending church. I am trying to focus on this one myself actually. When you do get some time, read a great Christian book like "The Shack"...it will offer a lot of perspective! I love you and your amazing family and miss you every day!

    ReplyDelete