Friday, July 30, 2010

Playgroup

It’s no secret to most mothers of children with special needs that our children aren’t invited and included in many “typical” activities with “typical” children that often. This has been one of the most difficult obstacles for me as Emma’s mom and continues to become harder and harder the older she gets. Oh how I long for the day when the phone might ring and it’ll be a friend inviting Emma over for a sleepover, a birthday party or just to play for a couple of hours, for no reason. Yes, these are the little things that mean so much to us in our world, that most people take for granted. I have never received such a phone call to this day and my daughter is almost 7 ½ years old. It’s a common, unfortunate bond that we moms share. In my opinion, it is shameful that these preconceptions begin at such a young age about our children. Emma is a child who loves to go, go, go and see people and do things as often as possible. It crushes my heart when I am constantly telling her no. She just wants to be around those that she loves so much everyday! You see, every little child needs friends. Think back to when you were little. Could you imagine sitting in the house all the time and never going to a friend’s house or birthday party? That makes for a lonely world, especially when your world is already limited to a certain extent because of a disability. It is my job as her mother to give her the best life possible, filled with all the things typical children have. This concept was very heavy on my heart.

After many conversations at various Triangle Down Syndrome Network functions about getting our girls together, my wheels started turning. I thought, here is a group of girls who just want to be loved and accepted and have as much fun as possible, just being little girls. Other people aren’t inviting them places, but I want to invite them!!! Why can’t they do that together since they already have a common bond? Let’s form our own group! So, last fall marked the beginning of our playgroup within the Triangle Down Syndrome Network for girls ages 5-8 with Down syndrome. I believe we have about 13 girls in the group, although most get together’s average 6-9 of them. This reminds me, we need to come up with a cute name for our group. Hmmm, any suggestions? It started as a simple idea and then other playgroups within TDSN were formed for almost every age group, both boys and girls! That makes me very happy. I hope all the other groups are having as much success as our age group is.

We have enjoyed several play dates including pumpkin decorating, a Christmas party, house play dates, bowling, birthday parties and our latest venture of pottery painting! The girls are starting to form relationships and that was my heart’s desire all along. I am excited about the future of our girl’s growing up together and hopefully remaining good friends for a long time. The mom’s have gained so much knowledge from swapping experiences. We are even branching out and leaving the kids at home for a mom’s dinner next week!

I wanted to share a few pictures from our pottery fun (thanks Candace :). I was quietly freaking out because I brought my camera and the battery was too low for use. Candace to the rescue!).



Working hard on the pottery pieces they picked out!



Big brother Drew came along for the ride and enjoyed painting a Colts football helmet.



Attempt #1 to get a good picture. I love the personality in this photo, including my daughter who doesn't want to hold a hand!



We miss our friends who could not join us this day!

I am so thankful for Emma to have a group of girl's to play with. How this group came to be is a good reminder for all of us that you never know how the smallest things can make a difference in one's life.

Now off to brainstorm some cool names for our group...

No comments:

Post a Comment