Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rebel

Rebel.

Yup, that’s right. I rebelled. Look out world…or should I say, Raleigh, NC. Generally speaking, I am not impulsive at all. In fact, typically I over analyze everything before even making a decision, then I usually question if I made the right one. I am definitely an over thinker, which is not always a good thing. So when impulsivity knocked on my door yesterday, I welcomed it.

Ah, yesterday. Hello impulsivity. My friend.

I cashed in on a gift certificate for my birthday for a manicure/pedicure (thanks Samantha, I enjoyed every minute of it!!!). It’s been a not-so-groovy week and I really wanted to take a break from the craziness for a little bit. I proudly entered the nail salon ready to embark on my nail transformation, shaved legs and all.

As I stood there, dizzy by all the colors to choose from, my mind started swirling. I usually think whatever color you pick reflects the type of person you are or perhaps the mood you are in that day. I perused the sheers and thought -nah, I want some color to feel like I’m getting my money’s worth. Then the pink’s -nah, I’m not in a pretty kind of mood. Then the red’s -nah, not in a saucy kind of mood either. Hmmm. What to do, what to do. Then there was black. I thought-Well hello there black nail polish. You sure do present an interesting dilemma and I LIKE IT. Of course I picked up the bottle, put it down, and picked it up, put it down. Looked around to see if anyone could see me that might comment. Then my internal battle began. However, my rebellion overpowered and won. I grabbed the bottle and proudly sat down in the chair to begin the pedicure.

Me: I chose black!!! (all proud)

Nail Salon worker: You won black polish?

Me: Yes, I’m feeling wild today!

Worker: Wha??? Wild? You jus call black polish wild? (Giggle, Giggle)

Me: Yes, I’m being wild…before I have to go to carpool that is.

Worker: If you won be wild, you paint nails black, den red, den white. Das wild. Not jus black.

Me: Oh no, I think I’ll just stick with black for today. I need to ease my way into being wild. (Doesn’t this person know how bad I agonized over picking black in the first place?!?)

Worker: (turns to speak to co-worker, in their language of course). Translation: dis why girl thinks she bein wild. Das funny!

Worker: Okay, we stic wif black if dat make you happy.

Me: yes, that’s exactly what I’d like.

Then onto the manicure…

Worker: you won black for fingah’s too?
Me: Yes, but not the whole nail. I’m thinking of just the tips for something a little different.

Worker: you won fake tips?

Me: What? No! Just paint the tips of my nails black is good.

Worker: Oh…

(Apparently I’m not as rebellious as I thought!)

Worker: Is okay wif you if I put lil silver on nail over da black?

Me: Um, I guess. (Otherwise you might boo me outta this place)

Worker: you won design on nail?

Me: No, that’s okay. I guess the black tip and silver is all I can handle.

Worker: ness time you come in, you be wild den okay?

Me: Sure thing.

I must say it was a great time. We laughed and laughed. Jill joined me in the experience and we were there over 2 hours. The staff was a lot of fun. It was a husband/wife combo. And I left with black toenails and black and silver striped nails. Not really digging the silver stripe so much but I gave into peer pressure what can I say?

I suggest you find your inner rebel (in a safe, unharming fashion of course).



No comments:

Post a Comment