Friday, October 15, 2010

The Fair

The fun rides, the flashing lights, the delicious food, the exhibits, all the laughter and fun. Sounds like the NC State Fair is here!



The fair is always such an exciting time for my kids. They LOVE going. I have gone every year since I can remember. Lots of wonderful memories made year after year.

There is one memory that I do not care to actually remember though…



Yep that’s right. Each year, for the past 4 years, I have gotten a migraine either on the way to the fair (guess the stress of the whole event brings it on) or at the fair.



Let’s see… there was the time when I got off a ride and threw up in the trashcan next to the long line of people (so sorry people!) Then, two years ago I got sick in the car on the way. I didn’t want to keep the rest of the family from going, so mom picked me up like a homeless person on the side of the street and took me home. A few years ago they just had to leave me sitting on a bench and come back to me when it was time to go.

Last year took the first place prize though. My brother Adam, Jon, Drew and I walked down the midway so that Jon and Drew could ride a few rides. We had already been at the fair for several hours and I knew a headache was coming on. Adam and I decided to sit out on the brick in the middle of the midway (yes, with all the people and flashing lights, perfect environment for a migraine!). In case you don’t know, there are about 6 sections of brick places to sit. You will see why I know this in a minute. Adam decided he wanted to get something to eat so he told me to stay where I was and he’d be back. (I always have paranoia about losing someone at the fair- even adults, so I told him I’d be right there waiting!).

And then it happened.



I had no choice but to take off and find a bathroom. I tried calling Adam but his cell phone was dead and mine was almost dead. Not a good scenario. And why was the closest bathroom 100 miles away? Do you know how hard it is to keep yourself from spewing everywhere, while looking for a bathroom and trying to call/text somebody…anybody?!?!? I don’t recommend texting and puking. Haha. (I’m trying to spare all the yucky details, but some are pertinent to the story.) As I’m dying in the bathroom, I’m still managing to pull out my phone every few minutes and try to call someone to let them know where I am. Then my phone died. There I was laying on the nasty fair bathroom floor, with wet paper towels on my head, with a dead cell phone, a migraine, puking and so worried about my family being lost. All I wanted was for the bathroom attendant volunteer lady to massage my head and tell me it would be okay, even if all her teeth were missing. Guess that would have been awkward.



About an hour later, I make it back to the brick section. I waited and waited hoping my brother would come back to find me. I had no clue where Jon and Drew were but at least they were together. It felt like time was creeping by so slow. Where was everyone? I couldn’t believe the wrong turn the night had taken. Finally, I hear my brother yell “Helen.” That is my nickname from him. Okay, for those who have seen National Lampoon’s Vacation, envision when Clark Griswold sees his family after walking through the desert to find help.



Adam and I ran up to each other, so thankful to see one another, like we hadn’t talked in 10 years. Then we both immediately start explaining our sides of the story, at the same time. Remember the 6 brick sections? Adam was sitting at one while I was sitting at another! Who knew there was more than one! Finally we were back together but neither of us had working cell phones so he started asking random strangers if we could use their phones to call my husband. What a fiasco! I was worried Jon wouldn’t answer if he didn’t recognize the number. After 3 calls, we finally got him. Adam told him that I was sick but he found me and we would meet him at the ride the drop zone. We were staring right at it. When Adam hung up, I felt so much relief! Finally we would all be back together and we could get the heck outta there! Adam and I make our way to the drop zone and we wait, and wait, and wait. No Jon. We wait some more. No Jon. So then began round two of borrowing cell phones. When Jon answered he wanted to know what had happened and why we weren’t at the drop zone. We told him we WERE at the drop zone. And then the mystery was solved, once again….who knew there were 2 drop zones! Apparently there are multiples of everything at the fair. Ugh…about 30 minutes later we were one big happy family again. Jon didn’t even believe the things that had happened to us. Another migraine story for the books!

I have set my own “I’m such a nerd” record. I am praying this year won’t make for 5 years in a row. Therefore, I came up with a “Do not get a migraine checklist” for myself.

-went to bed early last night- check
-ate breakfast this am- check
-going to take 2 ibuprofen with my lunch for good measure- check
-going to have some caffeine before leaving- check
-changed out my contacts so dry eyes won’t give me a headache- check

Here’s hoping my precautionary measures will be enough to keep the big beast away so I can enjoy my afternoon at the fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment