Thursday, January 27, 2011

Not As Planned

We are tracked out right now and yesterday was my day off. I had planned to take the kids out to lunch and bowling for something fun to do together. I should know by now that most things don’t go the way I plan them as yesterday was no different…

Emma went to bed Tuesday sounding raspy and by yesterday morning she had a nasty cough and was wheezing. So, we started our “fun day together” at the doctor’s office. She was pretty tight and wheezy, so they gave her a breathing treatment in the office (which was quite traumatic for her because she had not had one in years and was terrified). The doctor really couldn’t find anything wrong with her and said it was her reactive airway disease (but I’m sure we’ll end up back at the doctor by tomorrow when whatever it is shows itself).


Can you see that she is sticking her tongue out at me? She was not in a good mood!


Really mom???

After the doctor we went to Milton’s for lunch. I ordered Emma a kid’s cheese pizza while Drew and I ate the buffet. When Drew and I were almost done, her pizza had not come out yet. We asked about it, and of course it was forgotten somehow! Poor thing. I grabbed her a slice off the buffet. (And if you’re wondering why I didn’t just order the buffet for her- the kid’s pizza was cheaper and that’s all she would eat off the buffet). We left there and finally made it to the bowling alley. I had checked ahead online to make sure they had open bowling, which they did. I get to the counter and tell the guy their shoe sizes. He tells me that they have a senior league starting to bowl in 5 minutes and all 42 lanes are reserved for the next 3 hours. WHAT?? That’s not what the website said! How on earth was I going to tell a child who wouldn’t understand that after a long wait to get there, we couldn’t bowl. God bless the seniors, but really? Needless to say, it did not go over well because it was not something she could understand. I did get them some tokens to play in the game room but it wasn’t the same. Did I mention my 13 year old was amazingly patient during all this drama all day long? He even carried Emma in and out of the rain all day for me (she hates the rain and won’t walk in it) and entertained her at the doctor. It just seemed it was one thing after another but we made it work.


Making silly faces at the doctor


What a good big brother!

At the end of the day Jon told me he was sorry the day had not gone as I planned. My response to him was that it was okay because in the end, I still got to spend the day with my kids and that made me happy. We ended the night piled in my bed (along with the Darth Vader sounding nebulizer) watching Biggest Loser. Yes the day did not go as planned, but I was still thankful for every moment spent with my precious children yesterday. It was a good reminder to make the best out of whatever life throws your way!



I do owe them a bowling trip though!

Have you ever had those days?

No comments:

Post a Comment